Aqueous Film Forming Foam (AFFF) is a hazardous chemical primarily utilized by firefighters and military personnel to combat fires involving petroleum-based substances. This chemical poses a severe health risk due to its carcinogenic properties, potentially leading to life-threatening conditions like cancer.
Notably, AFFF exposure isn’t exclusive to firefighters and the military; it can also affect individuals who consume water contaminated with this chemical. Across the United States, instances of AFFF-contaminated groundwater have emerged, especially around military installations that have used and stored AFFF for decades.
If you or someone you know has received a medical diagnosis related to AFFF exposure, you should seek immediate legal counsel. This type of chemical exposure can result in severe health complications, and swift action is imperative. The dedicated mass tort lawyers at Lawsuit Legal News can help calculate the potential AFFF lawsuit settlement amounts you can request.
Determining Eligibility for Firefighting Foam Cash Settlements
Wondering if you qualify for compensation in the form of an AFFF lawsuit settlement? If you’ve experienced prolonged exposure to Aqueous Film Forming Foam (AFFF), you may indeed be eligible to seek compensation for both economic and non-economic damages stemming from your exposure.
- Economic Damages: Economic damages encompass reimbursement for documented financial expenses such as medical bills and lost wages that result from injuries caused by AFFF exposure. Such exposure can lead to a spectrum of diseases, including various cancers, thyroid issues, cardiovascular problems, lupus, and kidney disease. The treatment for these conditions often involves extensive medical care and specialized therapies, and you may qualify for compensation to offset these costs.
- Non-Economic Damages: Non-economic damages pertain to non-monetary losses incurred due to injuries arising from AFFF exposure. When personal injury lawyers calculate these damages, they consider factors like pain and suffering, mental anguish, and loss of consortium. Loss of consortium accounts for the diminished ability of the victim to provide companionship, affection, and support, after being diagnosed with an illness due to AFFF exposure.
As a victim of AFFF exposure, you could potentially be entitled to a portion of the firefighting foam lawsuit settlement amounts to cover the financial losses you suffered due to your exposure-related injuries.
What Legal Actions are Pending Against AFFF Manufacturers?
Numerous lawsuits nationwide allege that the manufacturers of AFFF were aware of the hazards associated with their product but failed to discontinue its production and use despite the known health and environmental risks. All federal lawsuits have been consolidated into a multi-district litigation (MDL) located in South Carolina.
If you or a loved one has suffered illness or health conditions due to AFFF exposure, you may have grounds to claim damages. The types of damages you can pursue will depend on the specifics of your case, including:
- The extent of your exposure and the severity of your injuries
- Long-term consequences of your injuries
- Whether the exposure resulted in permanent disability and the subsequent loss of future earning potential
- How your injuries have impacted your overall quality of life, along with the extent of your pain and suffering
Securing the Compensation You Deserve Through an AFFF Lawsuit Settlement
Many firefighters who were exposed to per- and polyfluoroalkyl substances (PFAS) are now facing a cancer diagnosis linked to that exposure. If you are one of the first responders who qualify, it is crucial to work with a seasoned personal injury attorney with experience in AFFF cases.
The team of firefighting foam attorneys at Lawsuit Legal News is here to guide you through the process, outlining the compensation you rightfully deserve and identifying all potentially liable parties. Most personal injury claims, including those related to AFFF exposure to carcinogens, typically encompass similar financial damages.
Some of the damages and financial losses you may request include:
- Medical Bills: Your medical expenses play a pivotal role in any personal injury claim, and following a cancer diagnosis, these costs can escalate rapidly. Many cancer patients face extended hospital stays and require a series of complex procedures to combat their illness. Treatment might necessitate surgeries, radiation, chemotherapy, and, in some cases, costly immunotherapy or palliative care to alleviate symptoms.
- Lost Wages: A cancer diagnosis can often compel patients to take a leave of absence from work, whether temporary or permanent. While some individuals can manage part-time employment while undergoing cancer treatments, others may find it impossible to sustain full-time work alongside their medical regimen. Some employers may accommodate part-time work during treatment, but it can still result in significant income loss.
- Pain and Suffering: Cancer patients endure considerable suffering during their treatment journey. Not only can cancer itself inflict severe pain, but the treatments can exacerbate the distress. Furthermore, many victims are robbed of cherished activities, relationships, and events due to the physical toll of cancer and its treatments.
Reach out to the team of legal professionals at Lawsuit Legal News to explain your unique circumstances and explore the compensation you may be entitled to receive in an AFFF lawsuit.
You Deserve Compensation for Your AFFF-Related Damages
As a firefighter or service member, your commitment is to safeguard the lives and property of those around you—to combat fires, mitigate property damage, and save lives. If you served as a Navy or airport firefighter, you might have faced recurrent exposure to high levels of these hazardous chemicals while working tirelessly to protect lives and reduce potential hazards.
Regrettably, the companies responsible for manufacturing these chemicals failed to take adequate measures to protect you. Even with proper protective gear and safety protocols in place, AFFF continued to be used and more people were harmed as a result.
Tragically, the manufacturers of AFFF did not take the necessary precautions to safeguard the firefighters and civilians who encountered these chemicals.
For many patients, a cancer diagnosis can drastically alter and restrict the remainder of their lives. In advanced cases, cancer can be fatal. You rightfully deserve compensation for the hardships you’ve endured. To learn more about your legal entitlement to compensation via a firefighting foam cash settlement, don’t hesitate to reach out to the lawyers at Lawsuit Legal News.
Potential Settlement Amounts in AFFF Lawsuits
Initially, it’s important to note that the manufacturers of AFFF have not yet initiated settlement discussions with individuals who suffered harm from their products. Recently, the first bellwether trial was scheduled for the summer of 2023. Bellwether cases serve as benchmarks, allowing both parties to gauge how a jury might evaluate similar cases within the AFFF multidistrict litigation (MDL).
However, the first bellwether trial (which was brought by a Florida municipality based on AFFF contamination in the city water supply) settled before trial. The defendants, including 3M (the largest manufacturer of AFFF) agreed to pay billions of dollars over time to settle all municipality claims.
Unfortunately, the resolution of those cases does not directly affect the personal injury claims brought by individuals who were exposed to these chemicals. So we are still estimating the AFFF lawsuit settlement amounts that may be available to firefighters suffering from PFAS exposure.
Factors Related to AFFF Lawsuit Settlements
In terms of expected AFFF lawsuit settlement amounts, several factors will come into play, including the type of cancer involved and its severity. While it remains too early to provide precise predictions on settlement values, we can draw insights from how prior mass tort cases have been resolved.
It is our estimation that the average settlement value in an AFFF lawsuit may surpass $150,000. Additionally, we believe that the average jury verdict could exceed $1,000,000.
Nonetheless, it’s important to recognize that only a fraction of mass tort cases proceed to a jury trial because of the inherent risks and costs associated with a full-blown trial.
To Learn More About Your Potential AFFF Lawsuit Settlement Amount, Turn to Lawsuit Legal News
Since every personal injury and mass tort claim is different, it’s challenging to place a dollar value on possible AFFF lawsuit settlement amounts. The best way to understand your specific rights is to set up a free consultation with a dedicated AFFF lawyer at Lawsuit Legal News.
If you or someone you love was diagnosed with cancer or another serious medical condition after being exposed to firefighting foam, reach out for a free consultation and case review. Call 866-467-0943 or complete our confidential online contact form today.