If you are a frequent user of hair relaxers or hair straightening products, and you are facing a cancer diagnosis, you may be eligible to bring a product liability lawsuit to recover compensation for your cancer-related losses. Product liability cases are complex and time-consuming, so it’s best to work with an experienced legal team to guide you through the process.
At Lawsuit Legal News, we want to ensure you understand how the legal system works and what is required to bring a hair relaxer cancer lawsuit. To help prepare your injury case, you need to know if you qualify for, and what evidence is needed, to bring a hair relaxer lawsuit.
What Legal Elements are Required to Prove Liability in a Hair Relaxer Lawsuit?
To recover compensation for your financial losses related to the damages you have suffered as a result of using hair straighteners, you must present evidence that proves the elements of a product liability case.
The elements necessary for a successful product liability hair relaxer lawsuit include:
- The hair product manufacturer (such as L’Oreal, Africa’s Best, and African Pride) has a legal duty to provide products that are safe for consumer use.
- The hair straightener maker breached its duty to warn about possible dangerous side effects or the general duty to provide safe products.
- As a result of the manufacturer’s breached duty, the plaintiff suffered an injury such as cancer, another related medical condition, or death.
- The injury (or the death of a family member from the injury) was directly related to using hair relaxers known to cause these injuries.
It can be challenging to prove that the use of hair relaxers or other hair straightening products caused your cancer or the death of a loved one. To provide the necessary causation evidence, your attorney might work with medical experts who can review your medical history and your use of the hair product and testify about the connection between cancer and that type of hair product.
Experts can also rely on the extensive research currently available that links certain hair products to uterine cancer, breast cancer, or uterine fibroids. The team at Lawsuit Legal News has compiled a summary of the scientific proof that links hair straightener products to cancer.
What Damages Can Be Requested in a Cancer-Hair Relaxer Lawsuit or Settlement?
If your claim is successful, you may recover two types of compensatory damages: Economic damages and non-economic damages. Let’s break down the types of losses you can request from the haircare product makers who are responsible for your financial damages.
Economic Damages - Out-Of-Pocket, Documentable Losses
Economic damage (sometimes also called special damages) have a specific monetary value and may include:
- Medical costs, such as surgery, chemotherapy, radiation, healthcare appointments and follow-up meetings, prescription drugs, and prescribed over-the-counter medications
- Medical assistance aids
- Rehabilitation expenses
- Lost income
- Loss of future earning capacity
- Psychological therapy for mental and emotional distress
- Final expenses medical and death-related costs if the cancer killed your loved one. These expenses may include funeral and burial costs, cremation expenses, and final medical bills.
Non-Economic Damages - Intangible Losses That are Harder to Calculate
Sometimes called general damages, non-economic damages may include:
- Pain and suffering and emotional distress
- Loss of companionship with your family members
- Loss of enjoyment of life if you can’t join in family events
- Loss of consortium if you can no longer enjoy a physical relationship with your spouse or partner
- Loss of quality of life if the cancer or treatment causes fatigue or other issues that reduce your personal standard of living, such as taking medications for the rest of your life
The compensation you may receive will depend on many factors, including the severity of your condition, what treatment or care you receive and how you are affected, or whether you lost a loved one from cancer caused by hair relaxer products.
Evidence That Can Help You Bring a Hair Straightener Lawsuit
Many people, especially women of color, have been diagnosed with cancer after using hair relaxers for many years. To learn if you may be eligible to bring a hair relaxer lawsuit, set up a free consultation with one of the experienced product liability lawyers at Lawsuit Legal News.
In the meantime, and before your free initial case review, consider these questions:
- Have you used hair relaxer or hair straightening products?
- When did you begin using these products?
- How often do you use the products or how often did you use them in the past?
- Did you self-apply the product at home or did a hairstylist apply the product?
- Have you been diagnosed with uterine cancer or another type of hormone-related cancer?
- Does your family have a history of uterine, breast, or other cancer?
- Do you possess proof of use or some evidence showing you used these products?
This information can help your attorney assess your claim and determine whether you are eligible to file a hair relaxer lawsuit. Any evidence related to your use of hair straightening products will be essential to support your claim.
You will also need proof of your medical condition or diagnosis. Your lawyer can help gather information about your diagnosis and proof of using certain products to help build your case.
How a Lawyer Can Help You Bring a Hair Relaxer Lawsuit
If you’re wondering if you can file a hair relaxer claim, contact a dedicated product liability attorney to know for sure during a free consultation. When you partner with an experienced injury lawyer, they can:
- Review your circumstances to determine if you have the legal basis for a case
- Determine what relevant evidence is required to substantiate your claim and help you gather all information
- File all necessary documents within any legal timeframes
- Negotiate with opposing counsel or insurance adjuster for a fair settlement, when possible
- Take your case to trial if settlement is not possible
- Provide valuable legal advice, financial resources, and support throughout your claim
Even though these hair relaxer lawsuits are relatively new, the attorneys at Lawsuit Legal News have experience with other product liability cases that apply in this situation.
For More Information About Hair Relaxer Lawsuits, Trust Lawsuit Legal News
When you’re facing a cancer diagnosis and the related concerns that go with it, you need to focus on your recovery, not worry about how you will pay your bills. The legal professionals at Lawsuit Legal News can help you sort through the evidence you’ll need to bring a hair straightener lawsuit against the makers of various hair care products.