If you received Tepezza injections to treat Thyroid Eye Disease and experienced hearing problems as a result of using this prescription drug, you can seek compensation for the expenses and impacts of your injuries.
Let’s review the types of legal damages individuals who suffered hearing loss after receiving Tepezza injections can request when they bring a product liability lawsuit seeking financial recovery from the drug manufacturer.
What Types of Legal Damages are Available in a Tepezza Dangerous Drug Lawsuit?
When pursuing a Tepezza hearing loss lawsuit, it's essential to understand the various types of legal compensation you can seek. In most product liability claims, the injured plaintiff must show the financial losses incurred due to injuries caused by a defective product. In these cases, the manufacturer, usually a company, faces strict liability for injuries caused by its products when they are used as intended.
In the context of a Tepezza hearing loss lawsuit, an injured plaintiff’s expenses may encompass:
- Medical Costs: This includes expenses for the medical treatments and tests necessary to address the hearing condition that arose from Tepezza use.
- Lost Wages: These are wages lost due to frequent medical treatments or the inability to work as a result of injury symptoms.
- Loss of Future Earning Capacity: If the permanent hearing loss impairs the plaintiff’s ability to work, they can seek compensation for the lost potential income they would have earned in the future.
Apart from these documented financial impacts, someone with Tepezza-related hearing loss could also seek compensation for intangible, non-documentable effects, such as:
- Physical Pain and Suffering: The physical discomfort and distress associated with the hearing loss condition.
- Mental Distress: The emotional distress experienced due to permanent hearing loss.
- Loss of Enjoyment: This covers the loss of the ability to engage in activities they once enjoyed, whether it's enjoying music or theater performances or having simple conversations with family and friends.
To explore your legal options and seek compensation for your hearing losses arising from Tepezza use, it's crucial to consult with an experienced product liability attorney. The Lawsuit Legal News team offers free case evaluations and can guide you through the process of pursuing your claim.
Eligibility for Compensation Through a Product Liability Case
In many states, statutes enable dangerous product victims to seek compensation when they've suffered harm due to a defective product. In the context of a Tepezza injury case, you may be eligible to file a claim and receive compensation if:
- You were exposed to a harmful substance or object.
- The exposure led to bodily harm.
- You used the product as it was intended.
- You were not adequately warned about the potential dangers linked to your exposure.
In certain product-related cases, like dangerous drug claims, a plaintiff usually does not need to prove that the defendant's negligence directly caused their injury. Demonstrating that you used a specific product as directed and suffered injuries may suffice.
An adept Tepezza lawyer will assess your losses comprehensively and work to attain a settlement or verdict that aligns with your unique circumstances while striving to maximize your compensation.
An In-Depth Look at Legal Damages: Compensatory and Punitive Damages
In product liability claims, three distinct categories of damages may come into play: economic damages, non-economic damages, and punitive damages.
Economic damages, sometimes referred to as special damages, and non-economic damages, also known as general damages, fall under the compensatory damages umbrella. The very term "compensatory" implies their purpose—to compensate the claimant for losses, injuries, or harm resulting from a defective product that led to such losses, injuries, or harm.
While most injury claims can involve both economic and non-economic damages, punitive damages are reserved for particularly grave cases where the court determines a product manufacturer acted egregiously or with total disregard to public safety.
Understanding Potential Legal Damages
Before delving further, it's essential to grasp the concept of damages and the nature of compensation that can be awarded to a plaintiff. Legal damages, sometimes known as monetary damages, comprise tangible, typically monetary restitution granted to the injured party in a legal dispute, with the obligation of payment resting upon the party found at fault.
In simple terms, damages represent the monetary sum mandated by law in situations involving a breach of a specific duty or a violation of certain rights by the party responsible for injuring another. The fundamental aim behind awarding damages may vary depending on the case's particulars and the degree of responsibility placed on the liable party.
Damages can serve as a means of restitution, a penalty, or a combination of both. For instance, compensatory damages, as their name suggests, primarily function as restitution. They are designed to recompense the injured party for actual monetary or physical losses incurred due to the actions of the at-fault party.
Understanding Legal Damages and Their Significance
Plaintiffs initiate legal proceedings against negligent parties with the primary objective of seeking compensation for their losses and injuries. To gauge the worth of their lawsuit, plaintiffs must grasp the various types of actual damages they can pursue.
Among the intricacies of such cases, one of the more challenging aspects is successfully demonstrating and substantiating the sum of actual damages rightfully due to them. Evaluating the value of actual damages—especially those without a concrete monetary value—can indeed be a complex undertaking.
Exploring the Three Types of Recoverable Damages
Let's delve into the three distinct types of damages available to victims in a product liability claim:
Economic Damages (Special Damages)
Economic damages are awarded to victims to provide restitution for the financial losses resulting from their injuries. The core purpose of these damages is to reimburse the injured party for any financial hardships arising from their injuries. This category aims to alleviate some or all of the financial burdens incurred by the plaintiff. Economic damages encompass various aspects, including:
- Loss of Wages: Calculating wage loss can be particularly intricate, especially for individuals whose employment involves variable pay, such as commission-based earnings rather than fixed salaries.
- Medical Bills and Expenses: Covering the costs of medical treatment, diagnostics, and other related expenses.
- Cost of Living with a Disability: Providing for individuals who experience temporary or permanent disabilities due to defective products.
- Property Damage: Compensating for any damage to property resulting from the incident. This category is not usually relevant to product cases.
- Funeral Costs: In cases involving fatalities, these expenses are covered.
- Personal Care Expenses: Addressing the costs associated with personal care needs.
Non-Economic Damages (General Damages)
Non-economic damages are less straightforward when it comes to assigning a specific monetary value. These damages encompass emotional trauma, including pain and suffering, which are inherently less tangible and more challenging to quantify compared to economic losses.
This category also includes compensation for future losses and damages attributed to the loss of future income and necessary future medical care. Non-economic damages can include:
- Mental Trauma: Recognizing the emotional distress endured.
- Loss of Companionship: Covering the loss of vital relationships.
- Loss of Enjoyment of Life: Addressing the impact on one's ability to relish life's pleasures.
- Pain and Suffering: Accounting for physical and emotional anguish.
When determining general damages, it's crucial to weigh significant factors, including the victim's age and prior health, their occupation and income, and the severity and enduring impact on their quality of life due to the injuries sustained.
If You Have Questions About the Types of Legal Damages Available in Your Tepezza Lawsuit, Turn to Lawsuit Legal News for Answers
The experienced and skilled team of legal professionals at Lawsuit Legal News understands the complexities of product liability claims and can walk you through every step of the process. Call us at 866-467-0943 or complete our online contact form for a free consultation where we can answer all of your questions.