Tepezza Mass Tort Lawyers Serving Hearing Loss Victims
You may have seen TV commercials featuring people suffering from thyroid eye disease (TED). This condition can cause bulging eyes and damage your vision. Patients with TED often use dark glasses to hide their appearance.
To help treat TED, Horizon Therapeutics created a prescription drug called Tepezza.
Doctors commonly prescribe Tepezza for patients with thyroid eye disease, also known by its generic name: teprotumumab. Patients receive regular injections of Tepezza to help reduce eye bulging and slow the effects of TED. Like many drugs, Tepezza can also cause side effects that damage users’ lives, sometimes permanently. If you experienced harmful side effects from taking Tepezza, contact a Tepezza mass tort lawyer to discuss your options.
What Are Defective Prescriptions?
Some prescription medications have adverse side effects that outweigh the drug’s promised benefits. These drugs are considered defective prescriptions, and many users do not know about or understand the potentially dangerous consequences they face when taking these meds. In fact, a recent study linked Tepezza to dangerous side effects, including potential hearing loss and persistent ringing in the ears known as tinnitus.
The risk that Tepezza patients might develop these side effects now appears greater than Horizon Therapeutics initially reported.
If you take Tepezza and worry about how it may harm you, read on. If you have already experienced adverse side effects while taking Tepezza, contact one of our mass tort attorneys for more information.
Learn More About Tepezza Lawsuits
Tepezza Study Discloses Potential Serious Side Effects in 65% of Patients
In 2021, the Stanford University School of Medicine conducted a small study of Tepezza users. The results showed that 65% of the participants experienced adverse effects, including hearing loss, ringing in the ears, and muffled hearing. Some impairments appear permanent, but more time may need to confirm this conclusion because the study only followed the participants for three months.
This percentage of affected users is far greater than the initial clinical studies provided by the drug manufacturer. The preliminary tests submitted to the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) reported only 10% of users might have hearing-related issues.
The primary complaints reported in the recent study include:
- Autophony - the sensation that your own voice is loud in your ears,
- Tinnitus - persistent ringing in the ears,
- Subjective hearing loss, and
- The feeling that your ears are plugged.
Three of the patients developed Patulous Eustachian Tube disorder, where the tubes that run from the back of the throat to the middle ear stay open. Normally, these channels should only open when you need to regulate air pressure around your eardrums, for example, during a sneeze or abrupt change in altitude.
Some of the study participants’ issues improved after a few months, while others did not. The researchers recommended further studies to evaluate these risk factors and better inform patients considering using Tepezza. Meanwhile, mass tort cases are growing to protect Tepezza users and provide compensation for their losses.
Are You Experiencing Any of These Potential Tepezza Side Effects?
Sadly, although Tepezza seems to improve some TED-related conditions, such as protruding eyes, double vision, and tissue inflammation, it may also cause serious hearing issues in some users.
Treating hearing loss can be expensive, time-consuming, and problematic. Hearing loss can also lead to major life changes, stress, embarrassment, and other non-economic losses. When drug manufacturers sell defective prescriptions without adequate warnings about potential side effects, users can hold them responsible for their losses–both economic and non-economic.
The most common side effects suffered by all Tepezza patients who reported hearing-related problems include:
- Eustachian tube dysfunction - abnormal pressure, pain, or stuffiness in the middle ear,
- Hyperacusis - super sensitivity to noise and regular sounds,
- Partial or permanent hearing loss,
- Autophony - your own voice sounds extra loud in your head, or you hear echoing, and
- Tinnitus - ringing in the ears.
If you take Tepezza or received Tepezza injections and you have any of these conditions, you may recover compensation for your losses, also known as legal damages. Contact one of our mass tort lawyers to learn more about your legal rights.
What Compensation Can You Request From a Tepezza Mass Tort Claim?
Losing one of your five major senses can change your life in many ways. Specifically, even partial hearing loss can hurt your career, personal relationships, emotional well-being, daily functioning, and overall quality of life.
Patients trust medications like Tepezza to treat a specific condition and improve their health. However, when a drug steals your hearing, causes pain or discomfort, and changes your ability to function in society, you have every right to feel betrayed. And you are not alone. When many people suffer injuries from the same product, our laws allow mass tort litigation to help compensate the injured product users.
If Tepezza’s side effects caused you damages, you may bring or join a mass tort claim against the manufacturer.
When a dangerous product is involved, consumers’ legal actions are called product liability cases. If you succeed in a product liability claim, you can request compensation for your out-of-pocket expenses and other losses related to your injuries.
Tepezza-related hearing loss can hurt you in many ways. Product liability and tort cases allow injured victims to request payment from the product or drug manufacturer to compensate them for their legal damages in a civil lawsuit. Damages can include both economic and non-economic losses related to an injury caused by the defective product or tortious act.
Recent studies show that Tepezza’s side effects can inflict severe harm and create costly damages. For example, if you suffer permanent hearing loss, it can influence almost every aspect of your future life.
You don’t have to face an uncertain future alone. Reach out to speak with one of our compassionate product liability lawyers today.
Potential Tepezza Hearing-Related Economic Damages
In general, economic damages include financial losses that you can document.
Typical economic damages include:
- Medical costs, including both current expenses and reasonably expected future expenses. The damages inflicted by Tepezza may last a long time and cause severe suffering, but each case is different. Depending on your specific condition, you may need simple medical treatment, surgery, therapy, or ongoing care for many years.
- Lost income, including both current and expected future lost income. If your employment requires strong hearing skills, you could lose your job, or need to accept a different, lower-paying position. Hearing loss could end your career and create serious financial repercussions.
- Other verifiable financial losses related to your injury. For example, you may need to purchase hearing aids or other appliances to improve your hearing or reduce pain and discomfort.
Possible Tepezza-Related Non-Economic Damages
If Tepezza injured you, you may incur non-economic damages. These losses are not simple to calculate, but most courts recognize them as recoverable personal damages. For example, if you suffer hearing loss caused by Tepezza, you may receive compensation for your emotional devastation, embarrassment, and daily frustrations.
After permanent hearing loss, you will have to adapt to living in a world without sound. You may need to learn sign language, acquire a service pet to help you, and otherwise face the emotional distress that comes with losing your hearing.
Other non-economic losses you may claim from a Tepezza-related hearing loss include:
- The loss of family relationships,
- The loss of life enjoyment, and
- Pain and suffering.
Our Tepezza mass tort lawyers can explain which damages you deserve and estimate your potential recovery in a product liability lawsuit brought against the manufacturer of Tepezza.
Can You File a Tepezza Lawsuit?
If you used Tepezza to treat your TED and experienced side effects, you may seek compensation for your damages and financial losses. One of our experienced mass tort attorneys can gather information about your unique circumstances and answer your questions to determine whether you may bring a product liability claim for your losses.
To file a product liability lawsuit, you must meet several criteria:
- First, you must have taken Tepezza prescribed by your doctor.
- Second, you must have experienced significant side effects and damages caused by Tepezza. It is not enough to say you received Tepezza injections. You must also have problems such as hearing loss or eustachian tube dysfunction related to the injections.
- Next, you must prove that Tepezza caused your adverse side effects. Proving causation can be the most complicated element in any product liability case, so hire an experienced mass tort lawyer to build and present your case during settlement negotiations or a trial.
- Finally, you must prove the extent of your injuries and damages to recover the amount you deserve under the law.
Our team of mass tort and product liability lawyers has successfully negotiated settlements and obtained jury verdicts for our clients in these cases. Mass tort and product liability claims are complicated, detail-oriented, and hotly contested matters. Choosing the right law firm to protect your interests is critical, so we urge you to contact us today to discuss your options.
A Tepezza Mass Tort Lawsuit Team You Can Trust
Our product liability and mass tort lawyers are ready, willing, and able to help victims that suffered hearing disabilities due to Tepezza infusions. We provide award-winning legal representation, and our firm is nationally recognized as a leading personal injury firm. Our team of attorneys brings more than 100 years of combined experience to every case we accept, and we have the track record to prove our effectiveness as negotiators and litigators.
A Tepezza lawsuit, like any product liability lawsuit, requires years of legal experience and extensive financial resources that our firm can provide.
When you work with us, you can expect a professional, responsive team that will listen to you and create a strategic plan based on:
- A thorough assessment of your situation and a preliminary calculation of your Tepezza-related damages,
- Gathering the evidence that is essential for your lawsuit’s success
- Solid legal advice about your rights and options,
- Extensive legal research and financial resources,
- Professional relationships with potential expert witnesses and specialists,
- Decades of settlement negotiation skills, and
- Aggressive legal representation in court if needed.
When you work with our Tepezza mass tort injury lawyers, your case will receive the full weight of our firm supporting you and the undivided attention your case deserves. Our team is responsive, professional, and compassionate. We promise to keep you informed about your case’s progress and explain the many ways we can assist you during such a difficult time.
Learn More About Your Rights as a Tepezza Hearing Loss Victim
Call us for a free case review today if you took Tepezza and suffered hearing loss, tinnitus, or another negative side effect. You may bring a claim or lawsuit to recover compensation related to Tepezza hearing loss with the help of our award-winning product liability team.
We are one of the country’s most experienced mass tort law firms, and we have handled hundreds of cases against defective drug manufacturers. We will proudly treat you with the personal attention you deserve and guide you through the maze of mass tort litigation to help you recover the maximum financial compensation possible for your Tepezza-related damages.
Our Tepezza injury lawyers are ready to listen to the details of your case and discuss how we can help you seek compensation for your injuries and hold Horizon Therapeutics accountable for your losses. To see if you qualify for a Tepezza product liability lawsuit, contact us today at 866-804-2555 or fill out our simple contact form.